Sunday 17 March 2013

Mintage: Spending Spree!!

These past three weeks have been a case study in the lack of self control present in 20-something females itching for sunshine and a little Vitamin D - I mean, what else can explain the vast quantities of hot weather apparel I purchased while sludging around London knee-deep in rain.

But in order to dilute the real issue at hand, and spread around the guilt, I will do a "X-Part Series" of reflections on my recent purchases....

First up... What Katie Did!

So I finally dragged my LAZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzY self out to Notting Hill to visit What Katie Did in the flesh. The shop was just lovely and the shop assistants both beautiful and helpful.

I had gone out there with a few missions:

1. Determine my sizing in Bernie Dexter so I can start ordering in bulk (especially the items that aren't available in the UK... which I can have sent home to LA)

2. Maaaaaaaaybe pick up a swimsuit depending on my self-esteem that day

3. Any other fun underthingies that strike my fancy.... depending on my self-esteem that day... ha!

So how did I do?

1. Everything fit... perfectly. I tried on the Capri Pants in Black Denim as well as the Beatrice Dress in Tiki Mask Print.


I was really concerned about the Capri Pants as according to the size chart I am size "non-existent" with my 29" waist and 43" hips... ok, maybe 30" and 44" hips depending on the weather and the trouble I've been up to :)


But, incredibly enough, the Large fit perfectly and were insanely flattering! I snatched these babies up! So, girls, please don't be put off by the claims of their being "very true to size" because, while they are, with a little twine and grease they will go on and actually start to give by the second time of wear (so much so I am considering that I may have to throw them in a hot wash to shrink them back down to their optimal girdle-like level of compression). Disclaimer: I am currently wearing them and was tempted to do a product shot in real life alas I've just died in the arms of Meat Mission and don't feel up to the challenge! (Below, a bonus pic from Meat Mission - it's a jazzed up memorial to the residents of Hoxton who lost their lives in WWII...)



The Beatrice dress was, as expected, incredibly flattering. Though the Tiki Mask Print is gorgeous, I just didn't feel the same way about it as I did the insanely awesome BBQ Print version:


Since I had figured out my sizing, I visited the actual Bernie Dexter online shop and dropped some serious cash on the BBQ Beatrice, the Black Dungarees (hoping they are a similar fit as the capris), and the Ginger top - to be sent home to LA and eventually put into my grubby little mitts at a slightly less instantly gratifying date.

2. Mission impossible, you say? Trying on one swimsuit and landing it the first go? Lies! But it's true, I swear. Unless WKD was piping in some kind of instant feel good vapors, this really happened. And now, a brief history of Gigi shopping for swimsuits: none.

My last one was a quickie Gap polka dot number that was actually quasi-decent given that I couldn't even be brought to try it on. Instead I just used a 30% off coupon and ran out the place before I could think twice of the implications of buying a swimsuit - that is, actually having to wear it. Before that, I had settled on a nice £10 M&S number that looked stunning on the glamourous Greek Isle getaway I had purchased it for - NOT! It was gross and though I was probably the youngest at the resort, I was by far the least glam. Sob sob sob - sob story over....


This fit beautifully! And the quality of the material is really something to be seen and felt. It just felt good on. I have a trip to San Sebastian coming up and can barely contain my excitement over how ace this is going to look in such a picturesque place... I can only hope the weather participates in my fantasies....

3. As for mission #3? Well, I suppose that's just for me to know! But let me just say that, wowee, that is an incredible selection of undergarments and the quality, feel, and fit of just about everything I tried was extraordinary. There was only one small hitch... I nearly suffocated to death amongst the ostrich feathers in the dressing room while having a go at a corselette... I guess I will always be a little bit of a weasel in that I could not figure out how to get that thing on... I guess this is why I deserve my nickname: "Scooter". Because sometimes I am just such a dweeb.

Until next time, in which we will chat: Shoes!

Credits: What Katie DidBernie Dexter

No comments:

Post a Comment